Monday, October 20, 2008

Hello Big Tex!

Sunday afternoon and evening we said our Hello to Big Tex at the State Fair. We actually were going to see a musical, The Color Purple, at Music Hall. Our tickets to the musical got us in to the fair for free, so we took advantage and spent a few hours at the fair.

We were among probably the millions of people who tried Chicken Fried Bacon, the best taste award winner in the Fried Fair Food Contest. We shared one order and thought it was very tasty! I also had the fair staple of a Fletcher's Corn Dog while Joey had a grilled hamburger. We were going to go all out with the fried food and have a funnel cake, but everyone else had the same idea and the line was very long so we decided maybe next year!

We also walked through and saw the latest in cars, saw the Domino Man topple about 3,000 dominoes, saw beautiful gardens, heard some interesting bagpipe rock music, saw some huge pumpkins carved into amazing jack-o-lanterns, and saw part of the lighted parade before going to The Color Purple.
PS to Andra's comment: The musical was good! It was very lively music - some gospels, some jazz and some blues (that's what the Playbill said anyway)! I did not know the story line. Joey was amazed that some how I have a Bachelor's degree and never had to read any of the book The Color Purple. It was a well written musical so I followed the story. Anyway, to answer your question - It was good!

2 comments:

Andra said...

Sounds like a fun time! So, how was the musical?

Amy said...

I have always wanted to go to the state fair. I am glad you had fun. Did you like the musical? I didn't enjoy the book.